Type of service provided:
The Complex Needs School Nursing Team facilitates coordinated care for school aged children who have complex health needs. Nurses work closely with the student, families, carers and teams from Education, Health and Social Care in order to plan specialist care. The service also provides the schools with training, education and support thus enabling and empowering teachers and teaching assistants to deliver specialist health care to the child and young person whilst at school. Nurses are based within the named schools and work as part of a wide multidisciplinary team.
From 4 to 19 years
We support children with complex health needs within the 4 named special needs schools within the boroughs of Lambeth and Southwark. The service offers;
- Experienced paediatric nurses onsite in the school, supported by the Team leader and Manager of the Complex Needs Nursing Service, Evelina London Children’s Healthcare
- Individual care planning in partnership with the student, family and carers.
- Work in partnership with professionals involved in your child’s care in order to support your child’s specific health needs whilst at school. This may include your GP, community paediatricians, paediatric specialists, Dieticians, Therapists, Head Teacher, Social Care or Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND)
- Specialist education, knowledge and skills training programme developed for staff within the special schools.
- A key contact for families enabling signposting to other available services.
- Information and advice is available from school nurse or the Team Leader.
- An example of children and Young People’s health needs we support are Ventilation, Tracheostomy care and management, enteral feeding and devices, epilepsy, Continence assessments and product information.
- Transitional meetings and support to facilitate children with complex needs starting school.
- Transition to adult services.
Who is the service for?
Students attending Cherry Garden, Tuke, The Livity, and Michael Tippett Schools who have complex health needs and have a Educational Health care Plan (EHCP)
Criteria for access to service
Residents who are registered with a GP in Lambeth and Southwark.
Students should be registered/attending Cherry Garden and Tuke Schools in Southwark or The Livity and Michael Tippett Schools in Lambeth.
Accessibility of this service
Students, families, carers and multidisciplinary teams may access the school nursing team in person, via email or telephone.
How this is provided:
Families and carers can access the nursing team via telephone, email, or face to face.
How can I access this service?
Students with complex needs will be identified to the Complex Needs School Nursing Team when they are enrolled in the school. Families and carers will be contacted by the school nursing team prior to starting school so that appropriate care plans and training can take place before the student is due to start.
E mail referrals to: gst-tr.evelinacommunityreferals.nhs.net
How is this service funded?
This service is commissioned by the Local Authority
Do you need to pay for this service?
The service is free if you are entitled to NHS care and are registered
with a GP practice in Lambeth or Southwark.
Confidentiality and Impartiality
All contacts with children and their families are treated in a confidential way as per Trust policy.
Useful to know
The Complex Needs School Nursing service is available 9am – 5pm Monday- Friday. The office is closed on weekends and Bank Holidays. You can either send an email or leave a message on the answer phone and we aim to return your call within 2 working days.
We provide training to other health care professionals; Health Visitors, School nurses and other community teams. We also provide training to non-health professionals i.e. schools / colleges