We treat children with eating, drinking and swallowing difficulties
Who is the service for?
Children with eating, drinking and swallowing difficulties
Criteria for access to service
We run three specialist clinics:
- Videofluroscopy clinic – to assess how safely a child is swallowing using an x-ray
- Medical feeding clinic – to see children with complex medical conditions, physical disabilities and delayed feeding skills
- Behavioural feeding clinic – to see children with developmental and behavioural issues around feeding
We cannot accept urgent referrals – Babies and children with a sudden deterioration in feeding skills may require hospital admission
Accessibility of this service
Our building is fully accessible
How this is provided:
Our feeding clinics assess and treat babies and children with eating, drinking and swallowing difficulties. We manage this by running three specialist clinics as described above. The clinics are run by a multi-disciplinary team – a range of different professionals working together to assess and treat each child. The specialist team includes:
- Speech and language therapists, who specialise in eating and drinking difficulties
- Neurodisabilty specialists
- Paediatric neurologists
- Occupational therapists
How can I access this service?
We accept referrals from medical consultants at Evelina London Children’s Hospital and form other hospitals, some GP referrals are accepted if the child does not have a consultant using these details:
Videofluoroscopy and medical feeding clinics – Helen Cockerill
Behavioural feeding clinic – Dr Veronica Kelly
How is this service funded?
The service is commissioned by health
Do you need to pay for this service?
Useful to know
Both clinics are based at:
Children’s Neurosciences Centre (Newcomen Centre)
1st floor, South Wing
St Thomas' Hospital
London SE1 7EH
Tel: 020 7188 6232/3993