We believe that every pupil has a democratic entitlement to visit their Parliament and welcome many pupils with different needs to Parliament. These needs might include:
- English as an Additional Language
- Sensory impairment
- Behavioural, Social and Emotional Difficulties
- Mobility issues, including wheelchair users
We welcome both individual needs supported within a mainstream class setting and whole classes with SEND.
This page will help you:
- Choose the best visit programme for your school
- Find out what adjustments can be made for your visit
- Book your visit
- Prepare for your visit in school (including downloadable resources)
Choosing your Visit programme
We have a variety of exciting, interactive tours and workshops, or stand-alone tours which provide a slightly shorter visit. Our workshops use a range of artefacts, videos and interactive quizzes to explore the processes and history found here at Parliament. Each of our workshops is designed to support curriculum study, but can be tailored to the particular needs of students.
For SEND groups we would recommend one of the following options:
- Story of Parliament Tour
- Making Laws Tour and Workshop
- Elections and Voting Key Stage 2/3 Tour and Workshop (This can be delivered at an age appropriate level, but provides students with experience of what voting in a local or general election is like and why we do this.)
Through discussions with the Education staff who will deliver your visit, we work to make the visit suitable for the pupils in your class. We aim to provide an accessible and enjoyable experience of Parliament.
Some possible visit adjustments include:
- Pitch/content of workshop
- Length of tour and/or workshop
- Additional comfort breaks
- Use of the hoist toilet
- Lift access in the Palace
- Tactile tour elements
- Hearing loop
Assistance dogs are welcome here at Parliament too.
If you are unsure or concerned about the nature of your visit, or changes that may be needed for your group, do call the Education Service on 0207 219 4496.
Booking your Visit
Bookings for the majority of our programmes are taken on our bookings' days.
We now have only limited places for:
and Spring term 2017 for visits between 3 January 2017 - 31 March 2017.
We will be booking for Summer term 2017 on Friday 13 January 2017
Please call 020 7219 4496. Requests will only be taken via telephone, not e-mail. Please read our information for bookings day
When you book your visit to Parliament, please explain any Special Educational Needs and disabilities that your group has.
Before your Visit
If you have let us know about specific SEND needs and requested a call back, a member of the Education staff will phone and/or email you approximately two weeks beforehand to discuss any specific adjustments that may be needed.
For more information and resourses please visit the Parliament website.