Southwark Scholarship Scheme (If you are thinking about going to University):
One of the ways Southwark Council is helping our residents to achieve the best start in life, is through the Southwark Scholarship Scheme. Residents who have a good academic record of achievement and who have also helped out within their local community could be eligible for the Scholarship. Through the Scholarship Southwark Council commits to pay the entirety of the Southwark Scholar’s tuition fees, regardless of course length or cost. This helps to ensure that the Students are able to focus on their studies, and not worry about their finances and debt.
- Have been a resident of Southwark for the last 3 years
- Have a household income of under £25,000
- Be embarking on their first degree
- Have a good academic record of achievement
- Have made a positive contribution to the community of Southwark
If you’re interested in applying for the Southwark Scholarship Scheme please see this link
Discretionary Learner Support for 19+ (If you are thinking about college)
If you’re aged 19 or over, on a further education course and facing financial hardship, you could get Discretionary Learner Support (DLS).
To get DLS you must be:
- 19 or over
- Studying at a learning provider funded by the Skills Funding Agency (check with your college)
How to apply:
- You apply to your learning provider (eg your college) for DLS.
You must be 20 or over to get help with childcare costs (if you’re 19 you could apply for Care to Learn instead).
How much you get depends on your circumstances.
The money can help pay for things like:
- Accommodation and travel
- Course materials and equipment
- Childcare - if you qualify
How is it paid?
Your learning provider decides how the money is paid to you. It depends on their scheme and what the money is for.
It paid by one of these methods;
- A direct payment to you - which you don’t have to pay back
- A loan - which you have to pay back
- Paid to someone else for example your landlord
Who can’t apply
You can’t claim if you’re:
- Getting student finance for higher education
- On a Community Learning course
Please contact Jas Dhell regarding Southwark's Scholarship Scheme 2015 via email firstname.lastname@example.org