Complex Needs Nursing Team Outreach Nurse-Children with Disabilities
Type of service provided:
Support for parents, carers, children and young people (CYP) that have a complex medical need as a result of disability, injury, accident or illness that cannot be met by existing universal or specialist services.
On going education and support for the CYP, parents, carers and families
Support to children, families and carers in managing their condition, school care plans, social, education and welfare support.
Signposting to relevant specialist services
work in partnership with the student, families, carers and teams from Education, Health and Social Care in order to plan specialist care. The service also provides the schools and nurseries with training, education and support thus enabling and empowering teachers and teaching assistants to deliver specialist health care to the child and young person whilst at school/nursery.
From Birth to 19years
The outreach nurses deliver a service for children and young people, families, carers, the multidisciplinary team, and education to in order to provide
- Experienced paediatric nurses, supported by the Team Leader and Manager of the Complex Needs Nursing Service, Evelina London Children’s Healthcare
- Individual care planning in partnership with the student, family and carers, for children in a mainstream school or nursery where there is a specialist nursing need.
- Work in partnership with professionals involved in your child’s care in order to support your child’s specific health needs whilst at school. This may include your GP, Community Paediatricians, Paediatric Specialists, Dieticians, Therapists, Head Teacher, Social Care or Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND)
- Specialist education, knowledge and skills training programme developed for staff within the special schools.
- Offer support between nurseries, primary schools, and secondary schools to facilitate the safe transition of a child with complex needs.
- Transitional support into adult services.
- A key contact for families enabling signposting to other available services.
- An example of children and Young People’s health needs we support are Ventilation, Enteral feeding and devices, Continence assessments and product information, Basic Life Support (BLS), Tracheostomy care and management, Adrenal insufficiency, Complex epilepsy, Ventriculoperitoneal (VP) shunt management, Oxygen delivery, Intermittent catheterisation, and Stoma care.
- Based in the community, if your child has to visit hospital, will work closely with you and the specialist to ensure you receive the best care.
- A flexible service that is available to meet or speak with families when and where necessary e.g. at school/nursery, in hospital, in a hospice, or at home.
Who is the service for?
The service is available for children with complex health needs who are registered with a GP in Southwark or Lambeth and live in the borough.
Criteria for access to service
Children and young people with complex health needs that are not met by Universal or specialist services.
Accessibility of this service
Children, Young people and their families/carers may be seen at school/nursery, their home, a hospital or hospice.
How this is provided:
Face to face, telephone, text or e mail.
How can I access this service?
You can refer your child to our service :
Tel: 0203 049 8121 or e mail: gst-tr.evelinacommunityreferals.nhs.net
Or you may be referred by other professionals.
How is this service funded?
This service is commissioned by the Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG)
Do you need to pay for this service?
The service is free if you are entitled to NHS care and are registered
with a GP practice in Lambeth or Southwark.
Confidentiality and Impartiality
All contacts with children and their families are treated in a confidential way as per Trust policy.
Useful to know
The outreach service is available 9am – 5pm Monday- Friday
The office is closed on weekends and Bank Holidays. You can either send an email or leave a message on the answer phone and we will contact you within 2 working days. If you visit the centre it is located within the congestion charge zone.
Specialist education, knowledge and skills training programme has been developed for staff within the special schools. We also offer bespoke training for parents, carers and family members