Our service provides information, advice, and support to young people with learning difficulties and disabilities. We undertake job searches with the young people, and search for work experience placements and paid employment. We also have one young people with learning difficulties working as Learning Disability Employment Advisors offering extra support, especially to young people in transitions.
We mainly support young people with learning difficulties and disabilities between 16 – 25 who live in Southwark and are looking for employment opportunities, or starting to think about employment seriously. This is a universal service there are no criteria, apart from they need to have either a learning difficulty or disability. We provide for all areas of needs and levels of need.
The team can adjust services to suit on demand. Please ask about special arrangements to sit around work or study commitments. We have a wheelchair-accessible building, but can also work out of office with the young people if needed.
How this is provided:
- 1:1 work and support at Toucan Employment head office (Rm LG02, Thames Reach Employment Academy, 29 Peckham Road, London, SE5 8UA). Work can also be undertaking elsewhere, but this is where the majority of the work is undertaken
- 1:1 work experience support where the role is
- Some travel support, if needed
- 1:1 on-the-job support for those young people who successfully gain employment, and need this level of support
- We will support the young people to access training as appropriate and necessary for the roles they are looking for.
Parents and young people self refer to this service, by calling and speaking to a member of the team or emailing us. We also take referrals from professionals, third sector representatives, etc.
The service is funded by City Bridge Trust, so it is a free service, The service is confidential and you will be asked for permission for us to speak with professionals on your behalf.