If a child or young person is excluded, it means they are not allowed to attend school for a fixed amount of time.
The decision to exclude is made by the head teacher. They must carefully consider the law when deciding to exclude a child or young person. The decision is recorded and the appropriate processes are completed involving the parents and governors. The school MUST issue a letter to the parents notifying them of the exclusion. 
Informal exclusions are illegal, for example sending a child home to ‘cool off’ or only allowing a child or young person in for a reduced amount of time (See guidance on reduced timetables).

There are two different types of exclusion:

  • Fixed Period Exclusions

A pupil is excluded for a stated period of time. After five days the school must arrange alternative educational provision for the child or young person. However, if this is not possible, the school has responsibility to provide and mark work for the pupil for the first five days of the exclusion regardless of the 6th day provision duties being put in place. Once a child returns to education, measures should be taken by the school to make sure the absence didn’t affect the child's progress. Once a child returns to education, measures should be taken by the school to make sure the absence didn’t affect the child's progress.

  • Permanent Exclusions

Permanent exclusions are made when a head teacher feels the school’s behaviour policy has been breached in a way that it is no longer appropriate for the child to remain in the school.
(It is possible for a Fixed Period exclusion to be changed to a permanent exclusion if the reasoning is justified, and parents would be notified of this with a letter detailing the reason for the change, your rights and next steps)

What happens when my child is permanently excluded?
When a permanent exclusion occurs, the Council must arrange suitable full-time education, for example a Pupil Referral Unit, by at least the sixth day of exclusion.
If the excluded pupil has a statement of SEN (special educational needs) or an EHCP (Education Health Care Plan) then the local authority must arrange an appropriate full-time placement that the parents are happy with. Parents of an excluded child with SEN have a right to state a preference for a certain school that they wish their child to attend.

Can I appeal the exclusion?
Once the decision to exclude has been made, it will be reviewed by the school’s board of governors. At the meeting, you and your child have a right to present your case to the governors. You can represent yourself or be accompanied by someone to speak on your behalf at your expense.
If the governing board agree with the head teacher and the exclusion is enforced, then you have the option of asking for the decision to be reviewed by an independent review panel.

The Equality Act 2010 states that schools must not discriminate against pupils on the basis of their sex, race, disability, religion, or sexual orientation. For pupils with SEN, this includes a duty to make reasonable adjustments to policies and practices in accord with their needs. If you feel the decision to exclude your child is discriminatory, you can make a claim to the First-Tier tribunal for disability discrimination or a County Court for other types of discrimination.

Community Empowerment Network

The Service
To provide advice support and representation to parents whose children are experiencing problems at school, in particular with school exclusion. This service advises for school-age children.

Who is the service for?
Parents and Young People who are experiencing problems at school particularly with school exclusion and special education needs

Criteria for access to service
This is a universal service there are no criteria. We provide for all areas of need and levels of need.
The team can adjust services to suit on demand. Please ask about special arrangements to sit around work or study commitments.

  • Phone advice 5 days per week
  • Access to advice and support
  • Specialist casework support and representation at GDCs, IRPs and SENDIST(appeals)

How can I access this service?
Parents self refer to this service. Parents can call and speak to a member of the team or email us.

How is this service funded?
The service is funded by the Big Lottery, Esmee Fairbairn, BBC Children in Need, John Lyon Charity.

Do you need to pay for this service? 
This service is provided free of charge.

Confidentiality and Impartiality
The service is confidential and you will be asked for permission for us to speak with professionals on your behalf. This service is independent of schools and the local authority. We have a duty to report any safeguarding issues we perceive.

Useful to know
We are a small team with a high demand for the service. We can not always represent at GDCs and IRPs especially if we are contacted at short notice.

Contact Details
Email: info@cenlive.org
Telephone: 0207 733 0297
Website: http://www.cenlive.org/

Just for Kids Law, School Exclusions Hub

The School Exclusion Hub provides information and tools for community and advice organisations to enable them to support families through the process of challenging unfair school exclusions.

Just for kids law are always working to increase the number of organisations able to offer support to families facing exclusion. However, if you are not able to find help, you can find further information to help you challenge an exclusion yourself. If you, a friend or family member is looking for support with a school exclusion you can contact these organisations:

Contact details:

SIAS (Southwark Information Advice Supprt) Team
SIAS provide information, advice and support to children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities, aged 0-25.

For more information please visit our page 
Telephone: 020 7525 3104
Emali: sias@southwark.gov.uk