Mainstream Schools / SEN Information Reports
Most children and young people will have their needs met within a standard mainstream school.
Here is a list of the different types of mainstream schools;
• Maintained schools - These are run by councils.
• Faith schools - These are religious schools. They will expect you to meet certain criteria regarding your faith. They may ask for information from your place of worship.
• Academies - These are funded by central government and are independent of direct control by the Council. They are usually secondary schools but there are a few primary schools in Southwark.
• Free Schools - These are a type of Academy too, which means they are: Non-profit-making, independent, state-funded schools which are free to attend and are not controlled by the council.
• 14-19 University Technical Colleges (UTC) - These are government-funded schools that offer 14–19 year olds technical and scientific subjects and are educating the inventors, engineers, scientists and technicians of tomorrow. There are no UTC’s in Southwark yet but you can look in neighbouring boroughs – Click here to view the 14-19 UTC Colleges
To find mainstream schools in your area, view the E-Admissions school map by clicking here.