Helping you get there


This section is relevant to you if you are a Young Adult or Child and have an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHC Plan).


Southwark Council recognises that some children and young people may struggle to walk or travel by public transport to their school/place of learning. In these circumstances, they may be eligiblie for travel asssitance if they meet certain criteria.


To check if you are eligible to receive help with travel to and from school by checking the Southwark School Travel Policy. To view the policy click here (pdf, 667kb).


For more information about the School Travel Assistance, click here.


You can get some free legally based advice here from Independent Parental Special Education Advice (IPSEA), who are a national charity.


If you think you are eligible and want to apply for help, you can do so online here:


Or you can print off a paper version by downloading it on here.


For the Post 16 form, please click here


You can also obtain information, advice or support from the SIAS team at any stage.

Here are some other travel options for people with Disabilities and/or Special Educational Needs


Lambeth and Southwark Community Transport (LaSCoT) is a non funded charity. They provide low cost transport for community groups and people living in Lambeth or Southwark. A range of different vehicles are available including ones fitted with wheelchair lifts. Find out more by clicking here


Dial-a-Ride provides door to door transport for disabled people who are unable (or almost unable) to use public transport. This includes buses, trams, London Overground and Underground trains. Click here for more information.


The Disabled Persons Railcard gives you:

  • 1/3 off most rail fares throughout Great Britain

  • 1/3 off your adult companions fare

  • It costs £20 a year

  • Or £54 for three years


To find out more or buy one, click here


The London Taxicard Scheme provides subsidised transport for people with serious mobility impairment and difficulty using public transport. It is available for use anytime, 24 hours a day, 365 days of the year, as long as they have a car available. You can apply for a Taxicard here

The Motability Scheme is for disabled people who have government-funded mobility allowance and want to lease a new car, scooter or powered wheelchair. Click here for more information.

A Freedom Pass gives you completely free travel on almost all public transport in London. It is provided by local borough councils for older or disabled Londoners. You can apply online here