Helping you get there

This section is relevant to you if you are a Young Adult or Child and have an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHC Plan).

Southwark Council recognises that some children and young people may struggle to walk or travel by public transport to their school/place of learning. In these circumstances, they may be eligiblie for travel asssitance if they meet certain criteria.

To check if you are eligible to receive help with travel to and from school, download Southwark's Travel Assistance policy (pdf, 1.1mb) 

Find more information about School Travel Assistance here.

Information from the Department for Education (DfE) about eligibility to receive free school transport can be found here.  

To apply for travel assistance, you can do so online here:

Or you can download a form for completion here.

For the Post-16 form, please click here

You can find further information about travel assistance on the Southwark Council website.  You can also obtain information, advice or support from the SIAS team at any stage.

You can get some free legally based advice here from Independent Parental Special Education Advice (IPSEA), who are a national charity.

Here are some other travel options for people with Disabilities and/or Special Educational Needs

  • Southwark Independent Travel Training Bus provides travel training support to young people in Southwark. For further information or to book a place on the Travel Training Bus, please call 
    07983 443 545 or email
    Click here for more information.

  • Dial-a-Ride provides door to door transport for disabled people who are unable (or almost unable) to use public transport. This includes buses, trams, London Overground and Underground trains. Click here for more information.

  • A Freedom Pass gives you completely free travel on almost all public transport in London. It is provided by local borough councils for older or disabled Londoners. You can apply online here

  • The Disabled Persons Railcard gives you: 1/3 off most rail fares throughout Great Britain, 1/3 off your adult companions fare, It costs £20 a year or £54 for three years. To find out more or buy a Disabled Persons Railcard, click here

  • The London Taxicard Scheme provides subsidised transport for people with serious mobility impairment and difficulty using public transport. It is available for use anytime, 24 hours a day, 365 days of the year, as long as they have a car available. You can apply for a Taxicard here

  • The Motability Scheme is for disabled people who have government-funded mobility allowance and want to lease a new car, scooter or powered wheelchair. Click here for more information.