Apprenticeships combine practical training in a job with study. As an apprentice you’ll:
- be an employee, earning a wage and getting holiday pay
- work alongside experienced staff
- gain job-specific skills
- get time for training and study related to your role (at least 20% of your normal working hours)
Apprenticeships take 1 to 5 years to complete depending on their level. Apprenticeships have equivalent educational levels. Some apprenticeships may also give you an additional qualification, such as a diploma.
To start an apprenticeship, you’ll need to be:
- 16 or over
- living in England
- not in full-time education
See below for local Apprenticeship opportunities.
Find current Apprenticeship opportunities at the .Gov website by clicking here
Opportunity to gain work based skills and valuable qualifications. Working within Southwark Council or with one of the Council’s partners, the scheme offers a contract of employment for a minimum of 1 year and the chance to receive support from the central apprenticeship team, line managers, assessors and tutors. The Council will also provide coaching and mentoring support to ensure all apprentices are empowered to succeed in their placement. Applicants must be ages 16 or over, and fulfil the following criteria:
- English language & mathematics A* to D for level 2 or adult literacy and numeracy level 1
- English language & mathematics A* to C for level 3 and 4 or adult literacy and numeracy level 2
- Able to work full time
- You will be required to provide original English language and mathematics certificates.
The scheme recruits through out the year. Link to the website here
After having matched you with an employer in your chosen sector, Southwark College will work with you to develop an individual training programme designed to give you the job specific skills you need to succeed. On average, apprentices spend four days per week working alongside experienced staff in the workplace and one day per week attend Southwark College either remotely or on campus to work towards their qualification.
Live Learning Support Assistant Apprenticeship Level 3. Click here for more information.