Education Other than School

Alternative Provision

If education is provided somewhere other than a school it is called 'Alternative Provision'.
Here are some of the different types of alternative education;

Pupil Referral Unit (PRU)
This exists to help children find their way back into mainstream schooling or onto a vocational pathway that better meets their needs. Many children and young people who go to the PRU have experienced difficulties caused by their behaviour.

Home Education

You must notify the Council if you intend to educate at home. The first step is to request a pack from the Council. You can do this by either emailing: or by calling: 0207 525 4780.

Online learning

This can offer a solution where there are significant barriers to a child or young person physically attending a school. There are online providers which offer a subscription package.