Autism Support Team
The AST is a small team of professionals who specialise in autism, this includes specialist Teachers, specialist teaching assistants, specialist speech & language therapist, post diagnosis support worker and early years autism support officer.
We provide an outreach service to Early Years providers and maintained primary schools in the borough of Southwark. The request for support is initiated by the educational setting with parental consent.
The outreach role is to support the class teacher, teaching assistants, early years practitioners and other members of the educational setting to meet the individual teaching, learning and wellbeing needs of autistic children in their nursery/school.
The following support can be provided:
- Observation of the child at nursery/school, providing feedback, advice and recommendations, including support with target setting.
- Planning support- differentiating the curriculum
- Resource development- visuals supports, reward system, task checklist
- Monthly drop –in for Teaching Assistants
- Attendance at meetings- Annual Reviews (AR), Team Around the Child (TAC) and Team Around the Family (TAF)
- Transition Support - nursery to reception, year 6 to year 7
- Nursery to School Transition Passport Section B (Nursery) (docx, 260kb)
- Nursery to Reception Transition Passport Section A (Parent) (docx, 741kb)
- Secondary Transition Guide 2020 (pdf, 8.6mb)
- Transition Workbook (pdf, 7.7mb)
- Training - please refer to training details under Professional Development Offer for further information and for parents/carers please refer to the information for families page
We currently do not do offer a service to Southwark Secondary Schools or Post 16 provision, this is something we hope to do in the future.
We have a single Early Years Autism Support Officer (EYASO) in the team, their support in the most part focusses upon priorities of parents/carers and the nursery setting your child attends. Areas for development that can be addressed in this offer include:
- Interaction & play skills
- Independence including toileting, eating, and sleeping
The EYASO also works with the staff at your child nursery setting to develop their knowledge of Autism, this will include modelling strategies appropriate for your child.
We have an Autism Post Diagnosis Support Worker, this role provides:
- Regular programme of post diagnosis parental training; Next Steps and Cygnet.
- Direct contact with parents and carers, providing emotional and practical support, along with signposting parents to other service providers.
- Provision of autism awareness training for local service providers.
- Co-ordination and delivery of parental coffee mornings for parents of children with ASD.
- Delivery of annual conference ‘Let’s Talk About Autism’.
Below is information on specific autism supports and interventions for schools to download
- 5 Point Scale (pdf, 614kb)
- Power Cards (pdf, 594kb)
- Social Autopsies (pdf, 325kb)
- Task Breakdown (pdf, 778kb)
- Token/working for board (pdf, 561kb)
- ABC Chart (docx, 52kb)
- NowNext with Symbols Small Size (pdf, 1.6mb)
To contact the AST with any enquiries, please send an email AutismSupportTeam@southwark.gov.uk
Download our Request for Support form here (docx, 50kb)